Thread: 9mm v. grizzly
View Single Post
Old January 23, 2020, 12:34 AM   #63
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I seriously doubt that said bear was changing if he managed to shoot it eight times, or at least it wasn't charging until he had already begun shooting it. Bears are way too fast a full charge to provide adequate time to get off 8 shots.
I'll agree with that, but there is "charge" and then there is charge. Bears like many other mammals will sometimes advance rapidly, sometimes pause making threat display and advance again well below the speed of a full out "charge". Often even aggressive animals with predator instinct won't go into a full out charge /pounce if the "prey" isn't running away.

Most people (myself included) haven't acquired the skill to judge if its a full out charge or just a fast attack, or a bluff. When its a scary beast with big nasty teeth and claws or a couple tons crushing mass we tend to take the prudent course and assume the worst and act on it. And sometimes the people who have been through it enough to have the skill to make a sound judgement, sometimes, they're wrong.

Consider this, something I did back before my misspent youth took its toll.

9 shots .357 Magnum, 4.37 seconds, 7 bowling pins cleared off the table.
Aimed shots and two were at the base of a fallen pin facing me.

A personal best for me, and, I didn't even place 3rd that day.

Other people are faster than I was, and of course a rapidly approaching bear adds a degree of inspiration... 8 shots 9mm at a bear beginning at what distance? and was the bear at full speed or just fast enough to make it vital to shoot?? I don't know.

Difficult, sure, impossible? clearly not for that fellow that day.

Quote:
Every day at least 100 people are shot in the U.S.
Often by multiple assailants, often using "high power" rifles
I'm not disputing this but I wonder just how "often" it is high power rifles. Last time I saw FBI data (admittedly some time) all rifles totaled up to about 3% of shootings and that included everything classed as a rifle regardless of caliber, so actual "high power" rifles would be an even smaller number.

Page generated in 0.02242 seconds with 8 queries