View Single Post
Old November 12, 2017, 10:16 AM   #10
Jim Watson

Quote:
Someone told me once that for the real short mouse guns, the fact that they do have a rifling is owed more to BTF regulations than to an actual technical necessity. Form this statement I deducted that for the first few yards (the typical engagement distance for such small guns), the bullet does still fly nose first...
People will tell you a lot of things. Not all of them are so and can lead to false deductions.

Even a short rifled section will spin the bullet for gyroscopic stability.
Let's say you have a 9mm P, often found with rifling of one turn in 10 inches. In a 4 inch barrel, then the bullet makes less than half a turn before it exits. But it is spinning at the RATE of one turn per 10 inches of travel towards the target. If you convert it to a Baby Luger with a two inch barrel, about 1.25" of rifling, it will still spin the bullet at the same rate.

My AR 15 is not particularly accurate with its .22 LR conversion. It may be due to the fast twist meant for longer, heavier bullets, but there are other factors.
First, the bullet has to travel the length of the .223 round through the chamber insert, which is not a precise match to the barrel of the rifle.
Then its .222" bullet has to jump to the .224" centerfire barrel.
And what will the edge of the gas port do to a lead bullet?
None of that can be good for the soft long rifle bullet.

Last edited by Jim Watson; November 12, 2017 at 10:22 AM.

Page generated in 0.03322 seconds with 8 queries