Thread: No answer...
View Single Post
Old October 10, 2017, 09:31 AM   #31
kraigwy

I like to figure my own Maximum range for a given rifle/caliber.

I use a ballistic calulater and after putting the correct data, such as velocity, bullet BC, weather, etc. etc. I end up with a table. At a point the bullet becomes sub-sonic. I use that range for the maximum for that given rifle and bullet.

Of course thats for poking holes in paper or hitting gongs. For hunting the maximum range would be shorter. Each hunting bullet needs a minimum velocity to work as intended.

When I select a bullet, I call the manufacturer and ask them. For example Berger recommends 1800 fps for their VLD Hunting bullets. So if I'm using their bullet, I set my max. range at the 1800 fps point.

Having said that, that doesnt mean I hunt at that range. For example with my 6.5 CM load, that would be about 800 yards. I've never saw the need to shoot at an animal at that range, but I'm the limiting factor there, not the bullet or rifle.

You can do the same with other bullets but the remaining velocity may be different. Personally I like the Hornaday Bullets for hunting. Doesnt mean they are the only bullets but they are just my favorite

I do know, from this years antelope hunting, my load worked quite well at 641 yards. Judging buy the exit hole, that same bullet would work effectively on elk at 600 or so yards.

One just needs to understand that there is a difference between maximum range and maximum effective range.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Page generated in 0.02293 seconds with 8 queries