Thread: 7-08 for elk
View Single Post
Old August 4, 2020, 01:17 PM   #58
Tallest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double K View Post
Most people rarely shoot enough to become great shots... It's just as easy to jerk the trigger or make some other mistake shooting a 7-08 as it is to using a 7mag. Contrary to what people say on the internet a bad shot with a magnum is better than a bad shot with non-magnum. the animal is wounded in both cases but the shock of a high velocity bullet may buy you a couple of seconds for a follow up shot.
If I may make a minor counter point...

Since we seem to be talking about shooters at large rather than individual examples, I think it's important to note that those who practice tend to do better than those who don't, and those who practice a lot tend to do better than those who practice a little...

I live in Virginia where the whitetail deer are the vast majority of our "large game." In most counties, shooting a deer 200 lbs or more is a big deal. So my 7-08 is more than sufficient. It is also the lightest shooting cartridge I've ever hunted with. It's extremely comfortable to shoot, so I've also practiced with it drastically more than I ever practiced with the 30-06, the 300 Win mag, or the 7mm mag.

So I'm more comfortable shooting it, and I'm more familiar with what it will and won't do. As such, I am better equipped hunting deer or elk with it than I would be with something that makes me angry after 5-10 shots of practice. (I could also add that those who reload, and are on a budget, can afford to practice more with something that doesn't use magnum level consumables.)

I'm not disputing that magnums do more damage (at range), that is a given. But I don't thing their destructive advantage trumps the other advantages to be found in other factors.

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan

Page generated in 0.03057 seconds with 8 queries