View Single Post
Old December 18, 2011, 12:46 PM   #15
QCBrob

Thanks for the input, everyone.

As of yesterday, it was my intention to walk over and around the guy's back fence, knock on his door, and politely request that he look over into our area below him to make sure there are no kids down in our cul de sac before he shoots. I had no intention of mentioning what may be right / wrong, legal/illegal, appropriate or inappropriate - just making a polite request in the interest of keeping myself, my family, and our neighbors safe.

That didn't happen. Yesterday, about an hour after I started this thread, I was out in my front yard with one of my kids, my next door neighbor was blowing off his driveway, and the older lady directly downrange from and located closest to the shooting neighbor's back porch was in her driveway greeting her kids and grandkids who had just arrived at her home for a visit when we had another couple sets of rapid-fire shots. I looked up to see the guy in plain view just obliviously blasting away, downhill, in the general direction of us all. I also heard a "ping" which sounded to be coming from a metal shed on his property, downhill from his back porch and just behind another residence - indicating to me that a ricochet may have occurred.

I shouted up the hill: "Hey man, we have some people and kids down here!".

The response was not entirely intelligible but what I DID hear was laced with a few "choice" words that I did not wish for my own kid to hear. It was soon followed by another mag's worth of shots but no more since then. I didn't think a friendly visit would be construed as "friendly" after that exchange. But maybe it got the point across that there ARE people around and perhaps he'll be a little more diligent in looking out for people in the neighborhood before he goes out and shoots again.

Another neighbor HAS consulted an attorney, but was told that little can be done unless obvious damage / injury is caused OR his shooting is witnessed by and determined to be reckless by law enforcement personnel. I have some friends of my own in law enforcement and county government who have told me as much as well. In a nutshell, it's not illegal to be stupid, obnoxious, or noisy until AFTER it causes someone to be hurt.

Pax - I bet you are right. I also thought he must be "testing" something, and that makes PERFECT sense.

Hermannr - It's a TOTAL residential neighborhood, with houses surrounded on all sides by other houses. IMO, there is NO WAY that anyone could have a "safe" outdoor range. In fact, Last summer I elected to NOT kill a sketchy-looking raccoon who I believed to be rabid (out in the daytime, not afraid of people, wobbly walk) with a .22 just because I could not get a shot at it from any direction which didn't have a house somewhere behind the target.
What's ironic about the situation is all of us who are so concerned about this guy are avid gun folks ourselves!

Last edited by QCBrob; December 18, 2011 at 12:57 PM.

Page generated in 0.02698 seconds with 8 queries