Thread: cooked COW
View Single Post
Old July 15, 2018, 05:35 PM   #2
HiBC

I don't shoot SASS anymore.I tried it for awhile..I'm not loading BP cartridge right now. When I did,it was rifle.
I/we never used any grits,corn meal ,COW,etc for filler.
We did experiment with grease cookies,etc.
I've read about all of Paul Matthews,Venturino,used to subscribe to BPCR NEWS. I've read Ned Roberts on loading black powder cartridges. While folksdid use wads and grease cookies for various reasons,to protect the bullet or lube the bore,they were not filler. The "filler"was BP.

I guess the point for SASS is gaming with weenie loads.

Here is my concern about using COW. The traditional use is case fireforming.
I used it to blow 30-40 Krag out to straight wall basic brass for 40-60 Maynard,40-70 Sharps,40-50 Sharps,etc. And that's how I made 35 Whelen from 30-06.
I'm very familiar with using COW for case forming.

There is something about theway it packs and "flows" as a semi-solid plug that A) Creates pressure behind it sufficient to form brass and B)Actually helps to mechanically form the brass as sort of an expander.

I've used it with great success for this purpose.

An important fact to consider,WE NEVER<EVER USED A BULLET>

The COW was sufficient resistance to create pressure by itself with Bullseye smokeless.

I do not know where the idea of using COW for filler with a bullet on top of it came from,but,IMO,it is ill advised.

I'm not involved with SASS anymore,but there was a "Spirit of the Game" code.

My suggestion to SASS,in the "Spirit of the game", abandon this experimentation with fillers for safety sake.
The traditional filler was BP. There were no weenie low recoil gaming loads.

This stuff is a lot like the use of steroids in sports. "Yeah,well,you have to,to be competitive"

Last edited by HiBC; July 15, 2018 at 05:52 PM.

Page generated in 0.03464 seconds with 8 queries