View Single Post
Old September 15, 2011, 04:18 AM   #86
Bill Akins

Quote:
Stephanie B wrote:
Understood, but as a "proof of concept" model, the top-mounted gas cylinder might be a good starting point. "Can you use a gas piston to push back the hammer and not end up slamming the crap out of the gun's internals", for instance. And you can tinker with fewer mods to the frame.
You're right Stephanie. After you posted your question, I showed the rendering Akumabito posted at the brass goggles forum showing his concept for a shock absorbing gas piston. That might help keep the system from slamming the gun's internals as you mentioned. Then in a later post Akumabito showed us his concept for a shock absorbing gas piston that replaces the cylinder arbor pin. But I have my doubts about the viability of that one....but I'll address that in my reply to his post on that.

Quote:
Stephanie B wrote:
On the other side of the coin, the lever arm of the hammer is longer for a top-mounted gas cylinder. Just eyeballing from my Colt-clone SAA, a top-mounted gas piston would have a 2" lever on the hammer pivot pin, while a base pin gas piston would have a 1" lever to work on, so you'd be less likely to beat the crap out the mechanism.
Excellent observation Stephanie. When I was examining my '58 Remington, I noticed that too. The rearmost hole in the frame for the rounded tail end of the arbor pin, in the hammer track and below the hammer face.....is as you noted,....far down on the hammer and therefore low on the arc the hammer makes. Which would not give a good mechanical advantage to the arbor pin/gas piston pushing the hammer back to cock it. It can do it, but it isn't a good mechanical advantage since the arbor pin/gas piston is so low on the hammer and also as you noted, the arbor pin/piston does not have to travel far to cock the hammer in that instance. Now that might be an advantage for a short stroke gas piston not having to travel far, but it isn't an advantage to delaying and slowing down the system's operation. (This stuff DO get complicated doesn't it? ). But that's one of the challenging things to me about it.

Also as you noted, if the gas cylinder was instead located on top of the barrel, the gas piston would have to travel farther to cock the hammer because it is located up higher on the arc of the hammer. Making the piston travel further to cock the hammer and giving the gas piston time to slow down before the hammer was fully cocked. Hopefully delaying the operation....(in theory anyway).

Excellent observation Stephanie. I like how you think. Keep it coming!

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Page generated in 0.03175 seconds with 8 queries