Thread: 9mm/.380
View Single Post
Old October 15, 2002, 04:18 PM   #3
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Really, the question makes a lot of sense - - -

- - -- That's how I began loading for .380, using the 121 -- 124 gr. truncated cone lead bullet case in the Lyman 356402 mould. Lot of people want to load up a few plinking rounds without running out to purchase a bunch of dedicated .380 bullets.

As Jim writes, it is workable, and there are safe loads available in print.

I would caution you, though--Watch that overall length and the pressures as well. You won't get any high velocities with a bullet which is at least 20 gr. too heavy for the intended load, so stick with the reduced loads.

I think you can still buy the 90 gr. "varmint" bullets for 9x19 use, and these are just fine in .380, for which the standard FMJ bullet is 95 gr. You are still better off using dedicated .380 bullets, though, because the 90 gr. parabellum bullets are, I think, more strongly constructed. They are intended to be driven at well over 1200 fps and still hold together. Doubt if they'll expand much at 800.

Remember, though--You can buy ready-loaded defense ammo which is better than anything you can load for the .380. This indicates, to me anyway, that handloading for the .380 is strictly a practice and small game proposition. Please, watch the pressures and overall length. Specifically, be aware, almost all .380 pistols are blowback (unlocked,) while almost all 9x19s are locked breech. Don't try to ease up on 9 mm Luger velocities in the short round. You may rearrange a nice little pocket pistol, not to mention your own anatomy.

Best,
Johnny

Page generated in 0.03236 seconds with 8 queries