View Single Post
Old November 16, 2018, 12:23 PM   #6
Pahoo

When in doubt, let it pass

There are a lot of good tips in the previous replies and I only add that if in doubt, Let it pass. I too pay attention to the cackle and long tail feathers and most of the time, can see the head coloring and ring. I once shot a rooster that did not have any tail feathers to speak of and it didn't cackle but I could make out the coloring. It was a young rooster that had not feathered out completely. Don't know if I'd take that shot, today. …..

My buddy and I invited two friends from Alabama to an Iowa Pheasant hunt. We had to review how to tell the difference between a rooster a hen and if we flushed a hen, we would holler out "HEN". Anything else was fair game. Four in-line with the Alabama boys, in the middle. two roosters flushed up, along the line. Neither I or my buddy took the shot and the Alabama boys followed suit. Finally my buddy hollerd out; "SHOOT". Turns out that they held back because we didn't shoot. We were trying to be good hosts and this time it didn't work out ..

BE SAFE !!!

Page generated in 0.03414 seconds with 8 queries