View Single Post
Old February 14, 2018, 08:34 AM   #53
agtman

Quote:
Ideal Savage Scout?
Standard taper barrel, like on the old models, I think 18-1/2", not 20". No muzzle gadget. Blind magazine, like the Hog rifle.......no mag to forget or lose. No cheek piece. XS sights, low power IER scope. Maybe an IER variable 1.5-5X (?) but lighter/smaller than the Burris 2-7x. Coarse, chunky reticle, I might even stay with the German #1. Detachable rings, or rings easily removed with an Torx or allen key. I tape the key under the ammo butt 'cuff. Caliber, .308. Standard trigger, no accu trigger, simpler. I'd keep the oversize factory bolt knob.
Actually, with one modification, that's a great Scout check list.

The mod would be that if you're going to omit a DBM in favor of the "blind" magazine system, then for quick reloading in the field, the rear receiver needs to be tailored to accept mil-style 5-rd stripper clips to re-charge the mag. Quicker than finger-fumbling them in one at a time, plus the clips themselves make carrying extra ammo (that's not on the butt cuff) handier.

On the scope, the fixed 2.75x IER Burris is what I run on my Mini-G faux-Scout. Nothing wrong with it for the distances I'm shooting it (generally inside 200yds), but I'm seriously considering Weaver's fixed 4x Scout scope for my next build. Specs indicate that it weighs less than the Burris. Anyone have the Weaver?

Last edited by agtman; February 14, 2018 at 02:54 PM.

Page generated in 0.02982 seconds with 8 queries