Thread: Ted Nugent
View Single Post
Old August 19, 2013, 11:51 AM   #42
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP
Being extreme, and "in your face" may not be he best strategy, but it has been working for quite some time for the other side.

Personally, I find it rather refreshing. Calm, dispassionate logic in the court of public opinion is a losing tactic too often these days, even if it is the morally right choice. A degree of fighting fire with fire is needed, I think. It's certainly emotionally satisfying.

Ted's no saint. He doesn't represent me...
This is where I land as well. Although I have heard his name before, I have only seen him in his recent appearance on the Pierce Morgan program (a venue in which he did well).

This fellow I barely know does not represent me, but that does not keep him from being an advocate. Part of being an advocate can involve addressing emotional components of an issue and addressing them in a way that involves showmanship.

Calm and dispassionate reasoning is very persuasive amongst some people. However, it is not the only means of persuasion, and if we are too insistent on advocacy measuring up to a standard that most will not find persuasive, we should not bother as a political matter. Winning public opinion involves a tolerance of co-belligerents with whom one may have differences.

Last edited by zukiphile; August 19, 2013 at 11:57 AM.

Page generated in 0.03079 seconds with 8 queries