View Single Post
Old July 14, 2013, 07:02 AM   #49
Bill Akins

Mykeal, if you think it's a simple question, that doesn't require a complicated answer in order for the OP to gain enough knowledge to know which BP revolver to buy first, then consider this.....

Pretend a teenager you don't know and have never seen was writing to you asking for recommendations of what his first car should be.

You don't know how much money he has.
You don't how how large or how small the teenager is.

Now without explaining to him in some necessary details the characteristics about all the different model cars there are out there, and without explaining to him or asking him about horsepower considerations, without explaining to him considerations about gas mileage variance between models of cars, without telling him about moonroofs, convertible tops, mini vans, coupes, sport models, work trucks, work vans, car size, different wheelbases, leg room, head room, passenger capacity, rear storage capacity, auto trans or stick shift, compared quality, warranty, etc, etc, etc,.

Instead of going into detail as would be necessary to give him the knowledge he needs, what "simple answer" (that would be short and uncomplicated), would you be able to tell him that would give him the knowledge he needs that would not be a complicated and by necessity a long answer in order to give him a crash course that would be sufficient for him to have enough knowledge to make an informed decision of which car he should buy?

Without being able to give him all those details and more, how do you expect him to be sufficiently answered by you in order for him to make an informed decision as to what his first car should be?

Would you just tell him "Buy this one" without telling him in somewhat complicated (but necessary) detail your reasons you recommended that car, and would you not give him any complicated (but necessary) detail regarding other car options for him?

Same thing. It may appear at first to be a simple question, but since it in fact does require a detailed and complicated answer, it really isn't a simple question after all. But one that in order to answer properly requires a lot of thought and a detailed and complicated answer by necessity.

Or you could just tell the OP to "Buy a steel frame or stainless Uberti 1858 Remington in .44 cal" and not told him the reasons why you recommend that and not tell him about any other BP revolver options. But is that a proper answer in order for him to know "why?" and to gain knowledge?

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; July 14, 2013 at 07:24 AM.

Page generated in 0.03440 seconds with 8 queries