View Single Post
Old October 24, 2012, 09:25 AM   #1
kraigwy

Rifle Shooting at Close Range

I don't mean to circumvent the closed thread below, what I want to do is point out that 25 yard shooting is a valuable tool for target rifles.

I shoot my target rifles quite a bit at 25 yards using the ISU 25 yard target. The 10 ring on this target is a pin size dot. It's quite handy and I find it gives better feed back then shooting groups.

The targets I use have ten bulls and two sighting bulls. I shoot one shot at each bull.

It's relatively easy to clean these targets with target style small bore rifles, its a bit different with your full blown center-fire rifles.

This is a great tool for working on your position and trigger control......all your fundamentals. It doesn't take much improper trigger control to get your hit off the pin size dot.

Something else I like to do, is set my ammo on the table or bench to the rear about 20 or so feet from my firing point. I shoot one bullet, get out of position, run back for a second bullet, get into position and fire it, then go after another bullet.

Do this for time, see how fast you can get back into position and fire the next shoot. Do this for 10 shots to see what it does to your shooting.

I also use cast bullets in my rifles practicing off hand. You can really cut down the cost of you practice ammo.

The 25 yard target is a great tool when you're working with new shooters. You can concentrate on their fundamentals before you move to distance and work on wind, mirage and other environmental conditions.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Page generated in 0.02135 seconds with 8 queries