View Single Post
Old November 3, 2005, 02:38 PM   #25
Paul B.

Interesting thread. Speaking for myself, I would rather have a rifle that is consistantly a 1.5" grouper that one that is an inconsistant .375" grouper.

Case in point. I have a very nice FN Mauser that was built into a very accurate 30-06 sporter. Groups ran in the .375" range when I did my part using my handloads. Only one problem. With the rifle sighted in 3" high at 100 yards, when the barrel cooled the next very tight groups might be 6" off to one side or the other. Figuring it was the scope, I tried another. Same thing. After the barrel cooled, it shot someplace else. The gun maker rebedded this rifle three times, to no avail. When I moved to Arizona, I rebedded it twice myself. Nothing seemed to work. Groups were alway very small, but the point of impact constantly changed. I got a good deal on a McMillan synthetic stock and glass bedded the rifle into it. The rifle is still quite accurate, but now groups run from .75" to 1.25", and the point of aim is consistant.

Regarding practice for the hunt. The area I usually try for to hunt elk has some areas of open spaces that are unbelievably large. Once the shooting starts on opening day, the elk move out into the middle of these huge meadows, well out of range of most rifles. Seriously, the meadow where I shot my last elk is about two miles wide and maybe seven miles long. Those elk can see you coming from a long way off. My shot was at 530 yards, laser measured. It was an easy shot really. early in the morningn, no wind as the inversion hadn't broken yet, perfect conditons. I made the shot from a comfortable sitting position with a .300 Win. mag. and a 200 gr. Speer Hot-core. The Cow elk dropped on the spot.
So, why was this shot so easy? Lots of practice. I started about three month before the hunt shooting at targets from 100 to 500 meters. The 100 meter shots were done offhand and sitting. the longer shots fron kneeling and sitting. I consider myself fortunate that my range has a silhouette range to 500 meters. I usually would shoot something else from the bench, but then before quitting for the day, I'd fire at least one group from field postions ay one of the various ranges. Maybe 100 meters one day and 400 meters the next time. Or 500, depending on myframe of mind and how tired I might be from the other shooting. The more tired, the farther out I'd shoot. It paid off very well that day in that open meadow when I got my elk.
Paul B.

Page generated in 0.02681 seconds with 8 queries