View Single Post
Old November 23, 2005, 01:59 AM   #1
ALexK

Home Defense preparedness questions

Two nights ago I was awakened by the sound of a car alarm at 4:30 am. I got up and wanted to check around outside to make sure everything was OK. Since I wanted to have my spotlight I skipped the 12 gauge I would normally use to clear the house and grabbed my .357 with laser grips and put it into my robe pocket, along with my cell phone. I fumbled around for a minute or two looking for slippers and was ready to go.

When I got outside I noticed someone rummaging around in my neighbor's Durango and the lights on it were flashing but no more sound from the alarm. It could have been either my neighbor checking things out or a burglar, I wasn't sure. Just then the alarm sounded again and the guy got out of the SUV. I shined my spotlight on him (1,000,000 candle power!) and he took off running down the street. I chased him for a little while to see if he would get into a car so I could get the plate number but he turned a corner and probably climbed a fence, eluding me. It didn't help that my robe was trailing behind me while running with all my nakedness exposed to the chilly air.

So about an hour later I was awakened by the sound of beer bottles smashing against my house. This really pissed me off so I went outside with the shotgun and looked around... saw nothing. This time I called the cops (my neighbor didn't want them called earlier). Of course they did nothing.

Obviously you can't shoot someone who throws bottles at your house but I sure wanted to do something. But what could I do?

So I learned that having shoes and clothing readily available is important. Also I would like to have a light on my shotgun so I don't need to choose between shotgun or spotlight (although being able to hide the pistol while knocking on my neighbors door was a plus). What advice do you guys have about home defense preparedness? Does anyone here carry non-lethal shotgun rounds?

Page generated in 0.02249 seconds with 8 queries