View Single Post
Old October 19, 2018, 11:57 AM   #31
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I did shoot about 60 rounds through this evening and surprisingly groups were around 2.5 inches at 25 yards
I don't know what "modern" folks consider an acceptable standard, but I have decades of articles in magazines where all the writers testing handguns considered a pistol that would group 2-2.5" at 25 yards to be accurate, and acceptable for nearly any use short of precision match shooting, and many people shot target matches with guns that "only" do that well.

5 or 6 .45 caliber bullets in one hole can measure 2-2.5". I've done it with my father's match Government model. (which was set up for target work in the 1960s)

Its a personal thing, of course, what satisfies your needs and desires, but if you're shooting 2.5" groups at 25yds, there's nothing drastically wrong with your gun and ammo.

MAYBE you can improve on that. Maybe. But personally the last thing I would look at tis the cylinder throats. I would look at the trigger pull and my shooting technique, and tinker with various load combinations to see what, if any results obtained. Reaming the cylinders, for me, falls under "last resort" tactics, and I've got 7 Ruger .45 Colt Blackhawks and Vaqueros, and have never had to have any of them reamed.

Consider this, since you can't put metal back, what if getting the cylinder reamed doesn't do any good? or what if it actually shoots worse, after reaming? It may be unlikely, but its not impossible. IF that happens, you're pretty much done, short of replacing the cylinder.

Another point to consider, especially when you get 2.5" from your rig and someone else with a similar rig gets 6" groups is, might it be the shooter??

Might it be their ammo? Their gun? or might it be that they shoot it differently than you do yours? Lots and lots of variables.

I'm not in favor of putting permanent irreversible changes to major components at the top of the list of things to do to try and improve performance. I'd put them at the bottom of the list, something to be tried when all else has been tried, and failed. I'm also one of the guys who doesn't take a file to fixed sights in order to adjust them. I will "adjust" the ammo instead of making permanent changes to the gun. Personal quirk, I suppose...

Skill and practice/experience make a difference, too. What some can do easily (or naturally) others have to work at, and some never do get there.

Page generated in 0.03562 seconds with 8 queries