View Single Post
Old August 17, 2017, 11:46 AM   #15
RC20

I simply use the action wrench and hold the barrel by hand.

Some of them move a shade, if so, I check head space and if its still acceptable , no reason to change it. I suppose you could use a clamped block of wood and a pipe wrench to hold in place,

If I am truly determined on an exact head space, then a bit of Kentucky windage (not McConnell) is done and I start a bit further out and let it move in.

Head space is a pretty serious mis understood time. It can be highly varieable.

My 1917 30-06 guns have it so far out that the bolt almost fully closes on a field reject gauge. SAMMI shortened up the chamber a bit when they made the round official civilian.

As long as the round fired, all it does in that case is fire form to the longer head space (bad things do not happen) and if you then accept that as the norm and set back the shoulder .003 maxim when you re-size, full length, you are good.

You can go the opposite as well, you can make the head space shorter than a go gauge. As long as a new piece of brass fits, you are fine. You do need to be sure the die will bump back the shoulder at least .0015 - .002.

And while the agues are very useful, they are not factory brass with its variations (nor a gun chamber with its variations)

Page generated in 0.02108 seconds with 8 queries