Thread: Life is GOOD
View Single Post
Old October 6, 2018, 02:31 AM   #11
bamaranger

180 XTP's & the Super B

The SuperB is a serious hunting handgun, my Dad had one with the 10-1/4 " bbl, scoped with a Leupold 2.5x, and it shot like a carbine, in fact BETTER than my .44 Carbines.

I didn't see barrel length mentioned in the thread, what length tube is on your new revolver?

I've shot a number of whitetails with the .44/180 XTP from .44 carbines, and while it rendered dead deer, I cannot say that the 180 XTP at carbine velocities was a good performing game bullet. I never had an exit wound on any of my kills, and slugs/jackets often separated. I had one slug impacting at very close range (10 yds) literally explode within the chest cavity of a 125 lb whitetail. Hornady indicates that the 180 XTP is not really intended for the velocities obtainable from a carbine, and my take is, likely from full bore .44 mag revolver as well. The 180 XTP appears more to me like a .44 spl slug, or a .44 mag loaded down for SD. The 180 XTP is a pretty soft bullet.

All that to say you might not be happy with the 180 XTP on a bigger hog. I have no doubt it will kill one in the 100 lb range dead as a hammer, but on a really big one it could be a different story. The 180 is a pretty soft bullet. I switched to the 200 XTP in my carbines, and there is a noted difference in penetration on whitetails, for one thing, I now get exit wounds. I'm not saying the 200 XTP is an ideal hog bullet either, but it's a good step up from the 180 for larger game.

But, congrats on your new (to you) revolver. The Suber B is a real work horse.

Page generated in 0.02642 seconds with 8 queries