Thread: .22LR Revolver
View Single Post
Old July 13, 2012, 12:23 PM   #41
CajunBass

Quote:
I guess if someone could specify WHY the S&W is better that would be helpful. It seems like more money for the same thing to me.
I used to think the same thing, and tried to prove it to myself by buying Ruger Single-Sixs, Harrington and Richardson, Dan Wesson and even Colts S/A revolvers. They're all good guns, but they're not in the same class as Smith & Wesson D/A 22's. The fit and finish and feel are just in a class by itself. (Note:I have never shot a Ruger or Colt D/A 22, so I make no claim to have any knowledge of them.)

The Model 17 and 18 look and feel like a "big gun," as well they should since the only difference between them, and their larger centerfire brethren is the size of the hole in the barrel and the cylinder. A Model 18 is just a Model 15 in 22 Caliber. That's the only difference. A Model 17 is the same as a Model 14. Just a little heavier due to having a little more steel.

I went to the range one day, taking both a Harrington and Richardson 22 (I forget the model number) and a Model 17. Shooting the H&R first, I thought I was having a bad day at the range. I was all over the place. I started to pack up and go home, but decided to fire a few rounds through the Model 17 (a -3). Instantly my groups tightened up and I started shooting the 10 ring out. Better trigger, better sights, better grip...just an overall better gun made all the difference.

Does that mean the H&R was "bad?" Not at all. I paid about half what I paid for the Model 17 for the H&R, but what it does mean is you get something for that extra money. Only you can decide if it's worth it to you.
John 3:16 (NKJV)

Page generated in 0.02188 seconds with 8 queries