View Single Post
Old February 25, 2010, 08:23 AM   #11
hornady

You are absolutely right that Antimony is the major factor in lead hard ness. Tin also plays a part as dose Arsenic. I should have stated this better. As I said I use Lyno and WW . Tin would be more of a filling agent in that it helps the lead release the dross. Thus harder bullets. Less impurities. Lyno is about 11% antimony 3% tin . WW are about 4% antimony. So with my mix I need to add a little more Tin and pure lead to get the mix I am looking for. But I have found that the problem most guys starting out are having is not hardness. And a little more tin will fix the issues they are having. Bad or under sized Bullets. As you said tin fills the mold out with as little as 1% more tin.. Or if not sized will cast a slightly larger bullet in as cast. But today some of the Guys starting out. Realistically Never slug a Barrel. Buy a Lee mold for $20.00 Think lead is lead and start casting. They get leading or bad bullets. and the first thing they think of is, I need a harder bullet. When a better mix would solve the problem. A little more tin. I use Lyman molds. So I try to get as close to Lyman #2.As possible in weight and diameter in as cast .I do like a little harder bullet. But the Lino takes care of that.
. But with the Lee Molds. Instructions state May not Need Sized. I think Lee states this because. They Realize. Some are using A variety of Lead sources. And have no way of predicting an as cast bullet.

Page generated in 0.02605 seconds with 8 queries