View Single Post
Old August 6, 2000, 11:34 PM   #2
Paul B.

Dundee. Good question. I've thought about doing that myself. I even have a .45 cal. mold. In a cap and ball gun, the grease is used not only to lubricate the bullet and keep fouling soft, but to prevent flash over from igniting one of the other chambers. A seated bullet in a cap and ball gun is below the front of the cylinder, and the space filled with Crisco, or one of the commercial goos. A .45 Colt round with a ball would also be below the front of the cylinder, so I imagine you could lube the same way. I would imagine a Wonder Wad would work as well.
Gunwriter John Wooters used to load what he called his "hockshop" load. A 45-70 shell with three .45 caliber balls. No details, just a picture of a cutaway round. Shows powder, a thin wad of some kind, and three round balls. No sign of any lubricant.
As I mentioned earlier, the grease in front of the ball, as done in a caplock revovlver would work, albeit messy. Maybe the Lee tumble lube just might be the answer. At the worst, you'll have to scrub out some lead. At best, you'll have a fun plinker.
Paul B.

Page generated in 0.02794 seconds with 8 queries