View Single Post
Old October 9, 2005, 11:46 PM   #4
almark

First, welcome to TFL!

Second, don't worry about your post length... everyone here has seen posts that require multiple posts because they outrun the max allowed number of characters.

Third, it may help if you could tell us how much experience you have with guns... judging by your request (no sporting, no hunting, etc.) I'm going to assume that you are a novice. If you're not, then my apologies.

OK, the classic "starter" gun for self defense (SD) is a .357 magnum revolver with a 4-inch barrel. There are a number of reasons for this:

For the most part, revolvers are simpler to operate than autoloaders. You point, you pull the trigger, gun goes bang. No safeties to switch off or slides to cycle.

A neglected revolver is more likely to still work than a neglected semi-auto. Revolvers in general tend to be less finicky and require less maintenance to obtain a basic level of functionality. Notice, I didn't say you could treat it like crap and still expect it to work... they do require some care.

A .357 magnum is usually chosen largely because it is versatile. A .357 magnum revolver can also fire .38 special and .38 special +P. It is general practice to load with .38 special (spl) for beginning shooting and regular range practice, and then load it with .38 spl +P for SD. Once you're comfortable with the .38 spl and have weighed other factors, you can move on up to the .357 magnum loadings if you wish, though it's not necessary.

A 4" barrel is usually easier for a novice to shoot than a 2" snubby. It is heavier, thereby reducing recoil. It reduces muzzle flash, and it increases the velocity (and thereby power) of a bullet in comparison to a shorter barrel. A 6" barrel is going to buy you a little more velocity than the 4", but you have to factor in concealibility (if you're going to be carrying... otherwise I wouldn't worry about it).

I'd imagine a lot of members are going to tell you to get a 4" .357 magnum revolver. You should look at Smith & Wesson, Ruger (if you're on a more limited budget), and Colt. There are others as well... Taurus, Charter Arms, etc... All kinds of stories about quality control and whatnot, and of course most folks have made up their minds about them one way or the other already... you could post in the Revolver forum for a more specific idea of what to look for.

A few things...
A gun is no good if you're not willing and able to use it. Don't buy a gun if you expect it to be a magical talisman, or if you intend to use it to "scare away the bad guys"... you'll end up being shot with your own gun. Also, make sure you practice with your gun at least enough to know how it works and any little quirks about it, and be able to hit what you aim at. Buy the gun, practice with it, be prepared to use it, and hope you never have to do so.

Another important thing you should consider, especially since you're in California, is the legality of owning/carrying/using a firearm for self defense... other members who have actually lived there should be able to tell you more about that.

Sorry to hear about your car. Stay safe and good luck!

Page generated in 0.03153 seconds with 8 queries