View Single Post
Old June 20, 2002, 02:09 PM   #13
Paul Fitz Jones

Accurate 45-70 target load

I have 2 new California Saeco 4 cavity with gunstock handles "Competition Winning" 344 grains 45-70 bullet molds I was the Saeco top salesman in the 70s and retired with a stash of the greatest molds ever made after the owner died and the next owner started cheapening the quality of the products to make more money and take advantage of the 47 year reputation of Saeco. I sold almost a hundred 45-70 mold up to 405 grains as I wanted my customers to avoid "Sore Shoukder Syndrome" and "500 grain bullet Flinch" The Hornady #3 manual recommends up to 53 grains of 3031 to take any North American animal including Bear and Moose(If you want to eat them)

But I found that the most accurate load and the one that took dozens of deer and coyotes on my ranch wass 48 grains.

Now 48 grains was accurate, served my purposes and did not leave unburnt particles in my 1895 matlin or have them blow out the barrel. Myself and Hornaday at the time did not see any reason to shoot over a 350 grain bullet in North America.

These accurate molds were not made for oversize worn out barrels and weapons. But current Rugers and quality lever rifles in good conditionwhose owners want to win matches.

[email protected]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg saeco 45-70 344 gr 3.jpg (64.8 KB, 66 views)
Police Firearms Instructor

Page generated in 0.02418 seconds with 9 queries