View Single Post
Old July 6, 2012, 03:30 AM   #7
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I have a 550B and I think it's supposed to load 4 to 5 hundred per hour but I get about 3 to 4 hundred an hour out of it, taking my time. Like another poster, I only rev it up a few times a year to batch load general purpose ammo. All my load development is done in smaller batches on a single stage press.
My production rate is quite similar. Although the 550B is rated for something like 450 rounds per hour, I have only gotten close to that twice. I generally run at about 225-325 rph, once I've got my rhythm and have things flowing nicely. But, there are days when I only run at about 150 rph.

The couple times I really got cranking with it, due to nearing the end of 3,000+ round load runs, I exceeded 400 rph. But... the actual production rate is not important to me. I only calculate my production rates out of curiosity, and to give myself a benchmark for comparison, when I see people claiming to produce 600+ rph on a 550B or another similarly equipped press.

For me, it's not about "how fast can I get it done". I'm already GREATLY exceeding the production rate of a single stage or turret press. So, my production rate just ends up depending on how accurate the powder drops are, how I'm feeling, and how well I positioned the components for loading the machine. There's no point in rushing; I'm already ahead.

Page generated in 0.03358 seconds with 8 queries