View Single Post
Old October 18, 2011, 12:40 PM   #82
nice shot

hesitation

I think hesitation is human nature in a scenario like this. I think that given his distance (not much) and the time of day (he just woke up) and the situation itself (punk kids), he probably did the best that anyone could hope for.

On the other hand, had those kids robbed a house from someone who had just gotten off work, or maybe a night owl of a man. . . wow. 4 funerals would be going on for sure.

As far as the castle doctrine goes, I've never heard of a case where a home owner met the guidelines of the doctrine and was taken to civil court and sued. That being said. . . never heard of one involving kids.

If you look hard enough you can find old Texas laws from the Republic that specifically state you can shoot a man for stealing your horse, being on your property after dark (cattle rustlers), and another one about stealing. . . somethign about if a thief takes property from you that you can use deadly force to stop him (while in progress).

That being said, just because you can shoot someone legally, doesnt mean its always what NEEDS to be done. I've been in plenty of fights. Pull out a gun, fights over, and thank God I've never had to shoot someone yet. The last two fights were pretty ruff. . . and quick. . . too quick for a gun for whatever thats worth. So for safety's sake, retreat as possible, stay in relatively good shape, learn some defensive techniques as well as practicing with your firearm.

Page generated in 0.02256 seconds with 8 queries