View Single Post
Old March 30, 2017, 10:56 PM   #33
James K
Member In Memoriam

"I'm hoping you are a NRA member, which would mean you would receive the American Rifleman. Every month there is a section called The Armed Citizen, detailing instances when firearms were used in self-defense. If that is your idea of it only happens in the movies, I suggest you start watching better movies."

I have to plead guilty of being an NRA member. But those monthly snippets don't tell the whole story. Yes, there are cases where self-defense is immediately recognized, and a shooter released with few problems. But often that is not the case, especially where the political climate is strongly against self-defense or where the victim is a member of a favored minority. In such cases, the prosecutor will work very hard to put the "armed citizen" in jail or at least make him/her pay out thousands of dollars to lawyers to have justice recognized. A reasonable defense will cost at least $20,000, and could run many times that in a complicated case. That may be chump change to O.J. Simpson, but most of us would be lucky not to lose our homes and just about everything else we own. And that is if the result is acquittal. If it is not, you may have a home for a good many years - "... to protect the citizens of our city from right-wing gun crazies who think they can kill with impunity..."

Jim

Page generated in 0.03404 seconds with 8 queries