Thread: NRA vs GOA
View Single Post
Old December 29, 2012, 03:09 PM   #47
44 AMP
Staff

Having begun my serious interest in guns, shooting, reloading, etc., a little while after the passage of the GCA 68, and having grown up in a house with guns, a father who worked for the state conservation dept, and was an NRA Hunter Safety, and Rifle & Pistol instructor, I have been involved since then.

I've done my bit, at some level, in every fight we've had since. I've seen us take major hits, and sometimes even regain some lost ground. The NRA didn't begin as a political animal. Bit by bit, it had to become one. And I for one, am glad it did. There was no one else, for a long, long time.

What I do not understand is why bash the NRA? Did they always win? no. Are they always right? no. Are they selling us out? Well, that is a judgement call, depending on where you stand. If you are one of the "greatest good for the greatest number" crowd, you'll have one opinion. And if you are one of the "NOT ONE STEP FURTHER!" group, you'll likely have a very different opinion.

But bashing the NRA? Isn't that like saying the ARMY is bad because Gen Screwop attacked the wrong hill?

argue tactics, fine. Good, even. But bash this group or that one? Why waste the effort?

Don't like what the NRA is saying or doing? Fine. Get in there and do better. Its not a monarchy with hereditary nobility. I've seen the leadership change several times over the years. Some have done better in their time than others, but that is the way of things, now isn't it.

What we are facing today is a full court press, from the press, a combination of the usual suspects in Congress pushing their mantra, and the top administration sympathetic to that agenda, and wanting very much to be seen as "doing something". Again.

And, both congress and the admistration are immune to re-election pressure. Congress, for the next two years, at least.

Fortunately, what we have on our side, still, is that the mood of the nation, as a whole, is not the same as it was during the Clinton years, when "gun violence" was the greatest threat to our nation there was, or so they said.

SO now, here we are, all our nation's problems solved well enough so we can focus all our attention on how many "bullets" I can legally have in a spring loaded metal box? And all because of what someone might do with it?

This is the quality of leadership we have gotten, and STILL we bicker amongst ourselves???

Page generated in 0.02612 seconds with 8 queries