Thread: Colt Gold Cup.
View Single Post
Old October 7, 2012, 08:32 AM   #2
rodfac

All of the Colt Gold Cups were good, some were great, and few fantastic. I've owned three over the years, two Series 70's, and one Series 80. The two Series 70's needed no add'l work to make them fully capable in NRA Bullseye competition...hand held 25 yd groups went right at an inch for a full magazine.

The Series 80, however, has never shown that type of accuracy. It's an unusual gun however, factory original in .40 S&W caliber, and that is the #1 reason for it's problems...groups gun less than 2" for the most part, but I get infrequent flyers every so often that make it not really trustworthy for precision work. Flyers that run gps. out to 3+". It's frustrating, and believe me, I've tried some first rate gunsmiths to cure it's inherent glitch. Mods have included link and bushing changes, trigger work, rail work etc.

Others have had good luck with the Series 80's in .45 ACP (an inherently more accurate cartridge, in my opinion, than the .40 S&W). But most gunsmiths find that the Series 70's are easier to get a really good trigger on, since they lack the add'l "anti-drop it on the hammer" safety parts.

Hope you find a good one....and most are! Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Page generated in 0.03647 seconds with 8 queries