View Single Post
Old May 23, 2011, 08:07 AM   #26
Bruce A. Frank

Picking up a very old thread, but I have come into some new info that some might appreciate. My 8mm Mag has never shot as well as I expected. Two shots in a row sometimes hit as far apart as 5 inches at 100 yds. If I let the barrel cool for 30 minutes between shots, the second bullet went through the same hole as the first.

I have done two things, first I installed a Choate Tatical stock. That soaked up some of the recoil but did nothing for the accuracy. The next move was a replacement barrel. I like this cartridge and I have almost 1000 new cases so if this gun could be made to shoot in this caliber I had incentive to keep it. Its power and long range accuracy should be right up there with cartridges like the 338 Lapua Mag.

About two months ago I sent it off to the Douglas Barrel company to have them make and install a 26" stainless medium target barrel. I did not appreciate how much weight this would add to the gun, but since I usually am loaded with a pack and a 44 mag pistol when hunting, it is not that much impact at 13 lbs. When shooting this gun off the bench as it came from the Remington factory it beat me up. Left my shoulder sore for days if I fired as few as 10 shots. At the range this week, the first time shooting it, I fired 40 rounds off the bench with NO discomfort.

I had two loads, the 220 gr Sierra Gameking and the 200 gr, Barnes TSX. After a little noodling around with the scope I found the game king bullets to shoot about 7/8" group at 100 yds. The surprise was the Barnes. I was using my 3-9 power Leupold, because I trust it, but I will later try a 8-32 power scope. The first two Barnes bullets fired shot into one ragged hole about 1/2" across. I adjusted the scope to bring them to the center of the bulls eye and fired two more shots. Another less than 1/2" group! I find that amazing with a bullet almost 3/8" in diameter!

I was so impressed that I proceeded to shoot up most of my very expensive Barnes bullets loads. But, I convinced myself that I now have a top notch shooter with several 5 shot groups in 1/2". . .and NO waiting for the barrel to cool between shots. Cold barrel shot and last shot of 5 were in that 1/2" group.

I expect that with some development of the load and the higher power scope to see sub-half minute groups. Besides hunting I hope to get involved in some long range competition.

My 8mm gun has been a roller coaster ride since I bought it. With a lot of time at the range I could get it such that the first cold barrel shot was dead on. Because of that I took some mule deer over the years, but there was no reason to even try again if the first shot missed. This new Douglas barrel has brought the accuracy to the level, as it should, of a bench rest rifle. The light target barrel of maybe even the Remington Varmiter contour that Douglas offers might have done the job. But, what I have proven now is that the cartridge itself if capable of the standard I wanted.

Page generated in 0.02621 seconds with 8 queries