View Single Post
Old December 18, 2012, 08:15 PM   #1
tgreening

The Rifle I Didn't Want...

So I headed into the LGS yesterday after having FINALLY made up my mind to purchase the AR I've been waffling over for weeks. I have a couple of lowers coming that I intend to build but I wanted to buy a ready made just to have platform in front of me for reference, though I don't expect to really need it.

The big question had been what to buy. I couldn't decide between a Colt AR6450 (9mm) or one of their 5.56 variants. I finally made up my mind on the 9mm and of course once I got there they were out of stock. It seems for some mysterious reason there is quite of bit of panic purchasing happening of late.

Back to plan B which is to go ahead and build the 9mm from one of the lowers I have coming, which I had decided to avoid. The 2nd lower will probably begin as a 5.56 pistol, and end up as an SBR.

What I ended up with was a Colt LE6920MP in OD green. I'm pretty ok with it in the long run since I intended to build a 5.56 variant anyway. It came with the lightweight magpul furniture, which I'm undecided on, magpul spring loaded flip up rear sight, a crappy azz sling reminiscent of the one on the M16 I had back when I was in the Corp, and to my surprise two magpul 30 rnd site window style magazines. Basic cleaning kit as well.

My desire for the 9mm was twofold (maybe 3?). It's cheap to shoot, it can be shot indoors at my local range, and it shares caliber with most of my handguns. My LGS seems to be fairly devoid of 5.56/223 at the moment, yet the shelves are covered in 9mm.

I know there are some folks that say a pistol caliber carbine is only marginally better than a handgun but I see it this way.

1) I won't be hunting with it.

2) In that SHTF scenario so many seem to worry about, yet can't really define, I don't intend to slug it out with the baddies after my house or my stuff. I intend to run. I have a wife and two little girls. Playing Rambo stands me too good a chance at getting dead, which leaves them at the mercy of who knows what. If I spot the baddies far enough away that a 5.56 (or greater) is needed, I've spotted them soon enough to just beat feet and avoid the issue.

3) When the Zombies come only head shots count anyway, and a 9mm carbine will still reach out there a fair distance with enough oompf to punch holes in foreheads.

4) If I had to grab it in the middle of the night to deal with a baddie in my house, it's plenty sufficient at that range to ruin somebodies evening.

Anyway, I know that without pictures it didn't happen, but I will get those first chance I have when the wife isn't around so I stand a chance of living long enough to actually shoot it.

Page generated in 0.02749 seconds with 8 queries