View Single Post
Old March 22, 2012, 10:25 AM   #1
Wyoredman

Cartridge Over All Length questions

Shooters and handloaders,

In my recent quest to "get smart" about my reloading and turn myself into a handloader, I have posted many questions here on TFL.

Not to long ago I posted a question about cartridge sizing that is still an active thread and the conversation is teaching me more with every post. With that said, I now have another question reguarding COAL.

I worked up some loads for my .243 win Remington 700 using H4350 and Sierra 100gr SPTBTs. I seated the bullets to the depth recommended in the Sierra manual of 2.650". After shooting the load work up, the 40.0gr charge (near max in the Hodgdon manual) was best with a 5 shot group of 0.892". All other test loads grouped over 1.0". I observed no pressure signs with 40.0 gr.

Last night I placed a bullet in the chamber of my rifle and held it agains the lands, placed my cleaning rod in the barrel and made a mark. I then did the same with the rod against the bolt face. When i measured the differance (using callipers), I came up with a measurement of 2.703".

I want to load another test batch of ammo with the bullets seated to 2.700", 0.050" longer than the book COAL recommendation.

My question is - Should I start over with the load work ups, or can I just try and fine tune the 40.0gr charge at this longer OAL? I would guess that pressures will be less and I will be safe, but I am not sure. Any help would be appriciated. Thanks in advance.

Page generated in 0.02979 seconds with 8 queries