View Single Post
Old November 2, 2010, 11:02 AM   #1
VasiliyZaitsev

Newbie reloading need help with Lee dies setup

Hi everyone, just starting reloading. I dont know if I should make multiple threads or just list my questions. I will list them with best info I know you can may be guide me a bit.

Shooting 308 pretty much exclusively.

I got Lee 50 anniversary press kit with 3 die deluxe set.

Using Factory once fired in my rfile brass (Winchester and Federal)

Bullets I am using are Hornady 165gr BTSP

1. All my cases since fireformed to my chamber are too loose for the bullet to seat. Neck collet sizing die does not do anything it seems. So my first question is can this die be used to narrow tighten the neck or just to widen it?

2. When I full lenght resize my cases, they come out right size I suppose but when I feed one in my action the bolt closes a little tight, not too bad but definitely tighter then factory rounds, is that adjustibe and how, or is it OK to use as is?

3. to the bullet seating now... I followed "ammosmith" advise to try a looser bullet in case to gauge AOL and back it off 0.10" for good AOL for my rifle, well I did that and I come up with AOL of 2.8 which is max for my load according to the book ( I use Varget with 165gr Hornady BTSP), I end up with two questions. first, this theoretical best AOL ends up being just under the ribbed ring (is it a cannelure?) on the bullet, so that the whole ring is visible above the edge of the neck. Is that OK? Does it not need crimping anymore?
the second dilemma is after collet sizing the cartridge the bullet seats with a bit of pressure and I wonder how tight does the neck has to be for best seating of the bullet. From my first look it seems very tight.

Any advice please is appreciated, like I said first time, kind of in the dark, I try to follow instructions but see all kinds of variables that I guess you guys know by experience and are almost assumed by instructions.

Page generated in 0.02682 seconds with 8 queries