View Single Post
Old October 8, 2010, 01:23 PM   #28
spacecoast

Quote:
Do you routinely use a shot timer when you shoot? I find it difficult to believe that it takes the average person an extra second to find their sights.
I don't. It's significantly faster to use point shooting... why else would it be a strong emphasis at self defense handgun classes? The point is, you might as well practice it and use it because it's almost guaranteed that under time pressure you are NOT going to make effective use of your sights, or if you force yourself to use your sights you are going to be significantly slower than if you didn't. Point shooting is based on pointing your finger. Notice that when you (or most people, at least) point quickly at something that the hand is not oriented up/down, but rather 30-45 degrees to the horizontal because it's the most natural and comfortable position. That is how we were taught to point shoot. The bullets don't care how many degrees the gun is rotated. I guarantee that most people rotate the gun up/down to use their sights, which by definition takes extra time/effort if it's not the most natural pointing position. It also takes extra time to get the gun up to eye level. Point shooting does not rely on eye-level shooting.

Page generated in 0.02878 seconds with 8 queries