View Single Post
Old December 28, 2004, 07:58 PM   #13
MeekAndMild

I agree with Art and Peetmoss and others that wind direction is important. But I've about decided that Pine Sol works just about as good as anything for a cover scent for the iffy moments when the wind is wrong.

But I think the most important thing is to walk slowly. (I've jumped deer at my side door and last week Little Meek jumped one ten feet from the house as it was eating what was left of Mrs. Meek's sweet basil.) So it is important to be very slow and deliberate so that you don't just walk past the deer which are hiding in the bushes.

Does have pretty predictable habits, so once you know where one is hiding you can sneak up and watch her day after day. I've got a couple that I have been checking on in the afternoons much of this winter waiting for Bambi's Dad to come visiting. I shoot mostly does nowadays, leaving the little bucks to grow up. I think that one of the rules for hunting should be to harvest one or more mature does for each buck you shoot, so as to reduce overpopulation. There are too many deer in the South nowadays; 'way too many people killed hitting them in their cars, so it is a matter of good planning to shoot does.

Added Thursday night: Spent the afternoon watching some does in the pasture. This was from a fixed stand, though one can do the same behind hay bales or sitting in a stump hole in the woods near a deer trail. The problem is to decide which is better, to go ahead and fill the freezer or to wait for a big buck.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.

Last edited by MeekAndMild; December 30, 2004 at 07:25 PM.

Page generated in 0.02792 seconds with 8 queries