View Single Post
Old December 14, 2001, 07:45 PM   #39
boris_01

Thank you Captain. I appreciate your support. A protection dog is a dog trained in bitework for personal or property protection. He does not NATURALLY PROTECT. We train them to BITE by stimulating natural drives. These drives are PREY and DEFENSIVE. In prey drive the dog naturally chase the prey and bite. In prey drive the dog does not feel threatened by the prey. So it will whole heartedly without concern for it's safety, chase the prey and bite it. In defense drive, the dog feels a threat from the subject. Whether the dog will bite depends on the confidence of the dog. In a defensive situation a dog's natural reaction is either fight or flight. Most dog's reactions is to get away from the threat. Also a dog who barks from the end of a chain, leash or from behind a fence or door is not necessarily a confident dog. As long as the dog is restrained by the fence or leash, he may be more confident. Like a person who when someone is holding them back, talks the most [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]. But when no one is holding them, they mind their tongue. And are more reluctant to engage the other person. We ultimately want a balanced dog, in both prey and defense drives. A dog should be confident enough to not perceive the subject as a threat. But if the subject threatens him, he should be confident enough in defense to continue and thrive on the fight. Now all of this does not mean that the dog is unsociable. In fact the dog's temperment should allow the dog to switch from friendly to bitework without making the dog untrusting. Also the dog does not actually protect. He follows commands. In his head he does not understand protect the human. He understands commands, situational training and personal threat. Dogs are not like Rin Tin Tin. They do not reason. They have the mentality of a 2 or 3 year old child.
A DETERANT DOG. Is just simply a dog that deters a threat. Either visably or audiably. The sight of a large dog ( Like the mastiff) or the sound of the thunderous bark of the large breeds is enough to make most people keep walking. ( Or running) A deterant dog can be trained through limited defensive work to bark when it perseives a threat. Not necessarilly engage the threat. German Shepherd dogs are also good deterants because when someone see a German Shepherd dog they think police dog. Even if they do not believe that the person is a policeman, they subconsciously relate the dog to authority.
I know this is a long post but it is a subject that I cannot explain shortly. I there is still so much I did not mention.

Page generated in 0.03128 seconds with 8 queries