View Single Post
Old July 25, 2013, 06:15 PM   #17
Deaf Smith

I was once stopped outside a grocery store due to the metal detector going off.

A petite lady came outside and asked if I had my receipt and could she look in the bag.

Of course I was, and am, a 5th dan blackbelt, Krav Magaist, boxer, IPSC/IDPA competitor, student of many a defensive gun course, and packing a Glock 26.

So, in my best Michael Caine English accent, I told her I most certainly do have my receipt, showed it to her and allowed her to look in the bag.

And I say yes old man the contents matched! Then went on my way.

I've even walked up to lady cops who were marking tires of the cars parked and asked them what were they doing. Had good conversations with them to.

And once two city detectives came to my house and were walking back to their car just as I drove up. They approached me and and asked if I was Deaf Smith (well sort of asked that.) I surely told them I was and asked what the problem was. Well it turned out one of the guns I bought from a pawn shop turned up to be stolen! They needed to return the gun to the owner. So I invited them into my house!

They were kind of taken aback by that but, hesitantly, they came in. I had to lock up my two attack Chihuahuas and had them sit down and we talked. I even offered them a drink. We even talked about some people we both knew.

So I got the gun, put the original grips back on after taking them off another gun (in their presence and that gun was loaded) and gave it to them after signing some paperwork. Not only were they quite polite but we got along well. And yes, I was packing.

And do not worry guys, the pawn shop refunded my money to! So it all worked out.

It's amazing what you can do if you are polite, treat them with respect, and look them in the eye when talking to them at least here in Texas!

Deaf

Page generated in 0.02557 seconds with 8 queries