View Single Post
Old September 1, 2018, 06:41 AM   #11
Doc Hoy

Better than a club

I am with some others on the thread.

This issue has come up many times before and it seems (to my recollection) that each time the person who is proposing or the person who is suggesting that we consider C and B for home defense there is the ever-present mention of jurisdictional issues. This issue serves to take away most of the arguments against C and B and evens the playing field artificially in a playing field which is now and likely always will be, operationally uneven. It makes the discussion more pertinent without really changing the outcome. Rather than considering the legality, one might ask, "What if I simply don't have anything else?"

It has never been a question of accuracy. Trained police officers are only about 10% accurate in officer involved shooting instances. (I wish I remember where I got that figure but I am confident of its authenticity.) We know that C and B revolvers are accurate enough to be effective.

I had a very experienced police officer tell me (and it tend to agree) that for home defense for most homeowners who feel they need a firearm, the best choice is a sawed off shotgun in 12 gauge. He cautioned though, that the home owner must accept potentially 5,000.00 worth of damage to the home for each shot. Home owner's insurance probably does not cover damages inflicted by the owner deliberately.

Reliability, rate of fire, and number of rounds available as a feature in the argument has not changed since the first reliable semi auto pistol was introduced about a century ago. My opinion is, that the discussion of C and B over semi auto (or other) design, will continue right up until the next dimension of personal weapon design (Apple's ILDR app. - The iPhone Laser Death Ray, Android version available for download (Just kidding)) presents itself as another alternative.

I am not saying we should stop asking the question. It is a pertinent question for those who have never considered it. It is a fun exercise. And Paul's videos are quite good.

Page generated in 0.02133 seconds with 8 queries