View Single Post
Old March 29, 2018, 06:24 PM   #9
Rangerrich99

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
Don't get your training from YouTube.
Where you put the holster is highly personal. A lot depends on how you're shaped though. Plus a certain amount of how dexterous you are. And how much you practice with where you put it.
Oh I agree about not using YT as a substitute for proper training. Though Rob Leatham's "Aiming is Useless!" was instrumental in improving my fundamentals, i.e., grip, recoil control, body cant, etc.

I started out three decades ago carrying at about the 4-4:30 position, which I found comfortable and relatively quick to access, but I found that if I bent over even half-way the gun printed pretty clearly. This prompted me to move the gun to about the 3-3:30 position about 10 years ago. This is a good position for me in all things except trying to draw with my support hand (I try to practice this in the event my right hand/arm is somehow unable to draw). I just don't have the dexterity to pull this off anymore, despite the fact that I've lost 30 lbs. about four years ago.

As I stated earlier, currently my gun rides at about the 2:30 position, but it rides too high in my current holster and it still prints in certain body positions. Which brought me to thinking about appendix carry a couple years ago.

At the range I've been playing around with an old OWB holster in the appendix position and I really like everything about it. Getting my new holster I believe will settle it once and for all. Of course if I put on 20 lbs. I probably won't like appendix carry very much, but I'm still putting in a fair amount of time at the gym to keep that from happening.

And i hear you about practicing. I practice my draw stroke at least 30 minutes every morning while waiting for and having my coffee, and another 30 minutes or so in the evening while watching SportsCenter. If I don't feel comfortable with things after a couple weeks of that, I'll probably decide to give up on the idea of appendix carry.

Page generated in 0.03449 seconds with 8 queries