View Single Post
Old February 19, 2012, 05:19 PM   #1
kennethlee

7mm08 - A First Hunting Rifle . . . Almost!

I saw the rifle of my dreams yesterday and thought I'd buy it today. It was a Cooper Western Classic 7mm08 with lots of case hardened steel, special butt plate, etc. You can see one at: http://www.cooperfirearms.com/rifles.php?rifle_name=wc

I saw it used but looking like new in the gun store. There were two prices on the tag. Unfortunately, the one I honed in on was really a list of gun "extras" totaling $1,345 and not the actual gun price, $3,899.

I went back today and said, "I'll buy it", and about flipped when I saw the real sell price and my minds mistake. I apologized to the salesman for my stupidity and left feeling like a kid promised a pony for Christmas and then not given one.

Okay, I'm over it in that I know that rifle configuration is out of my price range for now. However, I have wanted a Cooper rifle for awhile because of their 1/2 inch MOA at 100 guarantee so will look at their less pricey models.

This would be my first high powered rifle and I'd use it for hunting deer, antelope and maybe, but not for sure, elk. But I would use it year around for target practice up to 800 yards.

So now my question to the experts:
I had been vacillating between getting a 30 06 and a 308. The Cooper I embarrassedly never bought was in 7mm08. I reviewed that round and liked what I saw ballistically so am now considering a purchase in that caliber.

In your opinion, is that a fair caliber for deer and long distance shooting? And I'd really appreciate hearing from some of you that use or have used 7mm08.

Thanks!

Page generated in 0.02106 seconds with 8 queries