View Single Post
Old July 22, 2018, 12:57 PM   #4
RC20

Short answer is its a great tool to see how good your cleaning is.

Having seen the result via a Hawkeye for Carbon Killer 2000 (Ck2k in my shorthand) and Bore Tech Eliminator (little or no odor and non haz) I would suggest trying those products! (please note this is not just my opinion, Unclenick for whom I have the utmost respect also weighs in on these two)

http://www.slip2000.com/blog/precisi...ting-magazine/

This is the thread for more details. Copper and Carbon, most of my crud is carbon.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=596575

I have the scope, asked the same question, but the best data was just looking at a number of barrels from really shot (1920s x 1903) to new barrels.

In the end, I don't think the Lyman has the delineation to give you a definitive condition on wear and tear though it gives you some idea.

What I think really matters in that wear and tear regard is the throat erosion and while a Hawkey may show that good enough to tell, I don't think the Ly,an will. What will is seat a bullet in an sized and empty case (or the Hornady tool) and see how long the COAL really is.

For 30-06 I have a tool called a TE/MW (Throat Erosion Muzzle Wear). TE being the one that is definitive for numbers of shots from what I can tell.)

So, I have looked at WWI barrels from around 6 Model of 1917s, the old 1920 06, CZ x 22, Savage, Shilon and Excel Barrels.

The bore condition really means zip. Savage is very rough, as are the Model of 1917s. The 1903 is understandably very pitted (and like 5 on the TE gauge so about 2/3 of the way to military gone) that 1903 has taken far more game than I can figure out from my Step Dads fathers history as well as something like 6 brown Bears in AK (it was a Target rifle for someone that looks to have moved on when it started to loose accuracy)

The Exell barrel is pretty rough, the Shilen and the Lothar Walther are much better finished.

The Shilen shoots the best but its a very good barrel and the finish does not seem to matter at all.

I have seen some of the Hammer Forged barrels (most if not all the rest are button rifled - have to see about the 1917s) . Hammer forged are smooth as silk, but not noted for accuracy.

The Lyman can somewhat confirm status but not establish it in that you can see bits and pieces of broken lands etc in the 1903.

The 1917s don't look all that great either, but they shoot fine.

Last edited by RC20; July 22, 2018 at 01:09 PM.

Page generated in 0.03870 seconds with 8 queries