View Single Post
Old July 12, 2018, 11:26 AM   #12
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKG View Post
For my money (to use an expression), the best bet is to make your own screwdriver tips.

The problem with many (most?) slotted screwdrivers and bits is that they are "slope ground." The slope in the screw slot tends to promote cam out, which is how screws (and receivers) get buggered. With a small amount of work, you can buy a bag full of slotted screwdriver bits, put a hollow grind on them and, if necessary, adjust the bit width to exactly fit a given screw.

Likewise, many (most?) Phillips screwdrivers and bits have too sharp a point. This causes the bit to bottom out in the screw before the Phillips wings are fully seated, also promoting cam out. A light touch on a wheel flattens out the tip just enough to avoid the problem.
If there is room in my man cave to hold numerous screw drivers in organized manner, I would grind my own too.

I bought the Wheeler set to start with. It is ok for the price. Certainly not for serious professional use. Several bits have broken, either too brittle or too soft. The rubber skinned handles absorb oil and have become slippery. Eventually it will be replaced by a Brownells set. One good thing about the Wheeler set is their bit variety.

Philips screwdriver being too pointy, you probably use too small a bit size for the job.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Page generated in 0.02109 seconds with 8 queries