View Single Post
Old June 14, 2018, 01:08 AM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
When you do, do you go armed?
Neighborhood Watch is not about "going" anywhere, it's primarily about "identifying and reporting suspicious activity", building community awareness and establishing a cooperative relationship between a community and local law enforcement.
Quote:
Myself, I do a watch sometimes. I do go armed, with a light and a phone. I will go down an alley. I say howdy to people. If I find a suspicious person, I will say howdy, call police, and observe if possible. I don't carry mace, my laws here will in principle support a clear case of self defense, even if I make first verbal contact with the other guy, like saying "hey, howdy, nice night. What are you doing with that crowbar?" In any case, that particular scenario would clearly fit into the principle of not poking the bear and letting licensed professionals handle the intervention.
That's not at all what Neighborhood Watch programs teach. Neighborhood watch doesn't encourage participants to patrol/roam the neighborhood looking for suspicious activity.

https://www.nnw.org/about-neighborhood-watch

I'm not saying you shouldn't patrol your neighborhood; I'm just not sure that kind of activity is relevant to what Neighborhood Watch programs teach.

Page generated in 0.03991 seconds with 8 queries