View Single Post
Old December 8, 2017, 06:19 PM   #8
bamaranger

.357 lever

Whatever you decide, a .357 lever carbine is a very handy and practical little rifle. I've had a Marlin since the 1980's when they first came out, and it is one of my favorite rifles. You can tailor the power range across the board,... single load .38 WC's, all the way up to boutique mag ammo that runs on the heels of the old .30-30.

My old carbine has seen a fair amount of .38/110 +P+ JHP, .357/125 JHP, and a mid-range .357/158 LSWC. Currently the little Marlin is zeroed for .357/158 JHP, a load I do not currently use in any of my .357 revolvers. For the most practicality, I need to set a revolver up zeroed for the same load, and it would not take much to do so, maybe after deer season.

I'll add that full house 125 JHP from the carbine barrel is absolutely devasting on medium sized critters, and I speculate would be an effective SD load as well. From the carbine, it is entirely shootable, and not nearly as atomic as the same load from a revolver.

Finally, I found aperature/peep sights a great addition to my carbine. Shot it as a ghost ring for awhile, then added the small aperature as my eyes slipped a bit. Doubled the sight radius.

Page generated in 0.02818 seconds with 8 queries