View Single Post
Old April 2, 2013, 09:24 PM   #7

MTGreen, an OACL of 1.150" is probably fine, but you can easily determine what OACL can be used by taking a new bullet and starting it into a fired case/dead primer/no powder. Remove your barrel from the pistol and drop the "dummy round" into the chamber. With light pressure, push the case-rim forward until the mouth of the case contacts the front of the chamber and stops. Pull the "dummy" out and measure OACL. This will be the longest OACL possible with the bullet touching the leade/throat of the barrel. Repeat the process 4 more times to make sure you get then same OACL max. everytime. When you start actual loading, seat your bullets so that your loaded rounds will have an OACL .005 - .010" shorter than the test "dummies". This will provide freebore for the initial bullet jump.

I only load JHPs in 9mm, so what I do after determining what the max. possible OACL can be, I drop to the next lower .5mm and load like the Europeans do. Typically, my JHP loads run from a high of 1.142"/29mm down to 1.122"/28.5mm and I don't load shorter than 1.102"/28mm. When there is a need and the pistols throat is long enough, I'll use an OACL of 1.161"/29.5mm for special purpose loads usually with 147 gr. JHPs.

Page generated in 0.03487 seconds with 8 queries