View Single Post
Old April 1, 2011, 01:28 AM   #6
Bill Akins

Some might think "Why?", I think "Why not?". Each to their own.

For me it was just an academic question. But as Arcticap pointed out, it seems Colt pre thought my idea by 160 years. That first link of that top strap mod 3 drawings sheet patent drawing by Colt in 1850 that you posted Arcticap, is almost exactly what I had in mind. Except in the drawing the top strap was dovetailed into the barrel instead of part of the barrel and it appeared like a bolt held the top strap at the left rear instead of being secured by a stirrup.

Very darn close though to what I was thinking about. I guess Colt thought "why not?" too, otherwise he wouldn't have bothered experimenting with that top strap mod.

I see several advantages to having a top strap on a previous open top.
1. You could incorporate a much better rear sight into the Colt top strap.
2. If a cylinder ever blew the topstrap would absorb much of the force (at least upward).
3. It would still have those famous Colt lines and look but in my opinion it couldn't help but make the frame stronger. I like my BP Remy's for their top straps, easy cylinder removal and better open sights, but I like my BP Colt's balance much better than my Remys and I sure wouldn't mind having an open top BP Colt style revolver that had been modded with a top strap just as long as it didn't change the excellent Colt balance too much.
Ya gotta admit, the BP Colt in that drawing looks pretty darn nice.

Did ya'll see the other thing in that three drawing sheet that I did? In the second and third drawings on that same drawing sheet, Colt was obviously experimenting with decreasing weight. Notice how he had cut down on the big rectangular section of the barrel over where the loading lever went? That would be a significant savings in weight. Also notice in the last drawing of those three that he was also experimenting with a different style of loading lever from the 1851 style. Very interesting. If I ever get myself a cheapo junker/beater that I don't care much if I mess up, I might just mill that extra weight out of the barrel myself and try that like the drawing shows. Sure would lighten the revolver. Might even mill myself out a top strap, make a stirrup and try my idea.

Thanks for that Colt patent drawing link Arcticap, sure was good food for thought.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; April 1, 2011 at 02:04 AM.

Page generated in 0.02966 seconds with 8 queries