Thread: .327 Fed Magnum
View Single Post
Old March 30, 2010, 09:48 AM   #3
Sevens

I somehow bought a box of Hornady 100gr XTP bullets last year when I was thinking about starting up in .32 Auto. Well, I wasn't reading the box... didn't realize that they were too heavy... realized later that I couldn't use them. If only I knew then what I know now: Apparently, I have the world's LAST box of .312" 100gr Hornady XTP bullets!

With these bullets, and some help from a patient forum friend with QuickLoad, I put together 6 different loads with the bullets, using three different powders.

I used AA#7, 2400 and Power Pistol for these loads. I stayed under "published" max, but duly noting that there isn't much published data out there from a real source. I took some from testing done by magazine article writers and others from running numbers through QuickLoad. What else can you do? I e-mail Alliant and all I get back is worthless data using 115gr Speer Gold Dot bullets that nobody can buy... the same bullets from the hot .327 factory ammo that nobody ever sees for sale.

My loads all worked well but I have no chrono to report numbers. "Felt" recoil was similar to the American Eagle 100gr factory ammo... a little warmer than the weaker Hydra-Shok 85gr factory load.

I've been searching all the online retailers for about 5 months for jacketed slugs in range from 85 to 115 grains. Sierra makes a 90, Hornady offers an 85 and 100, Speer has the 115 gr Gold Dot. Federal is bringing an 85gr JSP to market for their new American Eagle ammo (they currently offer the 100gr JSP in factory ammo only) but the bottom line on every single one of these products is that no factory is producing them and no retailer has any in stock.

They are all churning out the popular stuff to try and catch up. No idea when anyone is going to make another jacketed .312" slug in any weight above the .32 Automatic's 71 gr FMJ.

Page generated in 0.03101 seconds with 8 queries