Thread: FMJ question
View Single Post
Old December 11, 2011, 01:49 AM   #1
"JJ"

FMJ question

Hey guys I have been reloading for handguns for about a year but even newer to reloading for rifle! This is also my first rifle so I am new to them as well. I ran into a situation with my rifle and the way it handles FMJs. I wanted to bounce it off you guys and see what you guys think!
Be gentle!

Rifle is a Savage Edge .223 with a 1-9 twist.
The bullets used are 55gr FMJ BT & Hornady 55gr V-Max.
Powder, for now, is AA 2230.
Loads has been from the min to close to the max.
Distance 100 yards

Ok so I picked up a few boxes of cheep FMJs to get familar with my rifle and scope. I had the scope mounted and bore sighted and on earlier range trips got it zeroed. This was before I had any bullets to reload.
I stumbled across a GREAT deal on some components from a friend. A pound of powder (AA2230) 400 55gr FMJ bullets, 400 rifle primers and 400 brass as a package deal.
I loaded a few of these up for plinking & practice! When I went to the range to see how they performed I had not shot my rifle in a few weeks. After shooting the 1st group I found they were all 3 1/2 inches to the left and about an inch low. I had sighted it in about 1 1/2 inch high. I just assumed while toting it around predator hunting I had bumped it. So I adjusted it.
At the end of the session I shot a group with my 55gr V-max factory hunting rounds. They were 3 1/2 inches to the right and about a inch higher. I REadjusted to 1 1/2 inch high at 100 yards and went on scratching my head.

I have since got some 55gr V-Max to reload. I tried them out today.
There were three different loads and this was the best.
This is 5 shots from 100 yards. Remember I am still a rookie!

I am still working on this and will do some different loads to see if they get any better.
This load was 24 grains. The other loads were 24.5 and 25 grains and they spread out to a bit over 2 inches.

I also shot a five shot group with the factory Hornady 55gr V-Max.

Ok, so I can shoot a decent group.
Well, now I throw in 5 rounds of FMJs. This is now the third brand of FMJs I am trying!
3 1/2 inches to the left and a inch low again?

I can understand if my rifle didn't like the round and sprayed them about. They aren't in a great group but they are in about a 2 to 2 1/2 inch group, just 3 1/2 inches left and a inch low.

So what gives?
Thanks for any tips or advice!

Page generated in 0.03539 seconds with 8 queries