View Single Post
Old January 1, 2012, 10:48 PM   #102
Famas

I wonder if it's worth re-studying the older necked down pistol cartridges, like the 7.62x25 Tokarev cartridge? Anything particularly bad about that concept that would prevent it's reconsideration, or something similar?

As for NATO, I beg to disagree. The 5.56 and 7.62 NATO was forced onto the smaller countries. I've always like the 7.62 NATO, but hated the 5.56. NATO is like the UN, outdated and in serious need for reform or scrapping. NATO was not designed for any one country to use it as an extension of it's own foreign policy. If some people feel that it should be, then it's time for NATO to go by way of the UN, i.e. into the bin.

It is worth mentioning however that insofar as rifle calibers are concerned, I've noticed more and more discussion on various military threads (mostly non-US), about the need for an intermediate cartridge. In the UK there is renewed interest in their old .280 cartridge which they felt was unjustly shelved, and I can say that in France our defense ministry announced last Spring that a study would be made in this field as well, since there are some credible rumors that our beloved FAMAS would be retired by 2020.

Page generated in 0.03614 seconds with 8 queries