View Single Post
Old December 10, 2011, 10:50 AM   #37
MLeake

I had my second encounter with LE while carrying a couple weeks ago. I wasn't pulled over, though. A girl apparently hydroplaned, lost control of her car, and spun into the auto hauler trailer on which we were towing my wife's car.

Had a deputy sheriff respond first. Since there were no injuries, we had to wait a while, in the rain, for the TN state trooper.

The collision had sheared my hitch at the weld, so stopping the rig, connected only by chains, on wet road took a while. Got stopped, and ran back on the shoulder to check on the other driver while my wife called 911.

Girl was ok, though apologetic and crying. My wife, the dogs and I were ok. Some Samaritans had stopped, so I left the girl with them and walked back, in the pouring rain, to my truck.

I had locked my gun in the truck vault when the deputy arrived at the girl's car - or more accurately, the point at which her car left the interstate. (In a ditch; looked totaled.)

Since we were a quarter mile from my gun, I didn't bring it up.

Deputy, as he was leaving, said I should wait at my truck for the trooper.

When the trooper arrived, I told him that I had a permit, and the gun was in the truck. He said "Don't worry about that, let's look for damage and you can tell me what happened."

IE a non-event.

Now in general, I keep my wallet accessible and away from my gun while driving. I keep registration and insurance in the glove box, and the gun on my person or in the console vault. I proactively will not display a weapon by going for wallet or paperwork.

But I still notify. I really do not want to surprise the officer. In his place, I would not like the surprise. I consider it an issue of courtesy.

Page generated in 0.02646 seconds with 8 queries