View Single Post
Old December 12, 2004, 10:24 PM   #17
Handy

There is nothing wrong with a Ruger.

Unfortuneately, that's about the most there is to say about them. Their utter lack of distinguishing, interesting features leaves them out in the cold. I think S&W suffers a similar malady with their classic line, but S&W can at least claim nicer materials than Ruger.

The Rugers should be admired for being really nice quality, indestructible American products for really cheap prices. But Ruger achieved that through the use of bulky cast parts. Cheap, reliable and utterly boring, I'd say they are the Dodge Colt of the guns.

One notable exception to the above is their .45 guns. There really aren't many good choices in .45 autos (compared to 9 and .40), and Ruger's are some of the best DA .45s for the dollar.

It's too bad Ruger was late for the XM9 trials, I would have enjoyed seeing this distinctly American product in soldier's holsters. They would have likely suffered fewer controversial problems then the Berettas, and cost the taxpayers less.

BUT, Bill Ruger's support of the Assault Weapon ban leaves me so cold, I try not to even bring up Rugers in conversation.

Page generated in 0.02876 seconds with 8 queries